The Coos County Historical Society began its heritage work in 1891. The museum began operation in 1947. In 1999, residents John and Martha Butler gave the CCHS a generous gift of Tootsie Roll stock to launch the campaign to build the new museum. Donations from an additional 550 individuals, businesses and Foundations were received and combined with New Market Tax Credits. The Coos History Museum opened at its current location on the Coos Bay waterfront fall of 2015. Today the museum provides public programs and exhibits that preserve the stories and heritage of Oregon's South Coast.