Position Title: Curator of Education
Rate of Pay: $35,000 – $38,000/ year
Reports to: Executive Director
Schedule: Tuesday – Saturday, 9 am – 5:30 pm
Salary Classification: [SALARIED/ NON-EXEMPT, FULL-TIME]
Coos History Museum seeks an outgoing, detail-oriented individual for the role of Curator of Education. The Curator of Education will leverage knowledge of Oregon history and experience with program creation, research, and exhibits to foster opportunities for inclusive learning among diverse audiences.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
● Research, develop, implement, and manage all educational services and programs for group tours, children/families, related public use of the site, and local educational outreach.
● Consistently plan, direct, and facilitate engaging educational experiences for new and existing audiences.
● Coordinate and schedule speakers for all lecture-based programming.
● Develop and deliver historical content and/or training resources at events for adult and youth audiences in support of strategic initiatives, including in-person and virtual sessions.
● Work collaboratively with local school districts and Tribal partners to co-create relevant educational materials and programs with museum resources.
- K-12 field trip creation and implementation; regular activity and lesson plan writing required.
● Write articles for CHM newsletter, E-blast, website, and social media content.
● Coordinate efforts to enhance and expand targeted programming, including identifying and assisting with grant/funding proposals and managing the education/programming budget.
● Establish program evaluation procedure to include measurable goals, objectives, and outcomes.
- Assist with management of the CHM Research Library and research requests.
- Research and write educational material for programming aligning with museum exhibits.
- Manage and grow the museum’s educational collection of objects and archival materials.
- Create exhibit interactives following best practices for DEAI design standards.
- Assist with exhibit planning, creation, research, and installation as part of the exhibit committee.
- Participate in monthly gallery maintenance and cleaning duties.
● Participate in various outreach functions for the promotion of CHM programs, exhibits, and resources.
● Assist with community-focused and fundraising events.
● Set up and break down of Museum spaces for education programs, field trips and events.
● Trained in Manager On Duty (MOD) role to be assigned as needed [opening/closing procedures, reception, processing sales through the register and managing front desk volunteers].
● Assist with advertising, website, and social media updates [press releases, flyer/Ad creation].
● Volunteer management and coordination tasks.
● BA/BS in Education, Public History, Museum Studies, Anthropology, or any closely related field of study.
● At least three years of work experience in the field of education, historical interpretation, or as a museum professional. A combination of education and experience will be considered.
The Coos History Museum is an equal-opportunity employer. CHM is interested in finding the best candidate for the job and recognizes that a potential candidate may not possess all the qualifications listed above. We encourage people who believe they are a good fit to apply, even if they don’t meet all the listed qualifications.
View the full job posting on the CHM Website:
CHM Job Opportunities
Interested applicants should submit a resume and cover letter detailing their background and experience. Please also include two professional references.
Applications close on December 8, 2023.
Please submit to:
Subject Heading for correspondence:
Curator of Education Application