Position Title: Executive Director
Reports to: Board President (on behalf of the Board of Directors)
FLSA Status: Exempt, Full Time (1.0 FTE)
Location: Portland, Oregon
Compensation: $95-110,000 annually and full benefits package
Opportunities for the new Executive Director
The next Executive Director of JAMO will shepherd some exciting projects forward. All these initiatives have begun and will present rich opportunities for further visioning and
- Working with the Oregon Jewish Museum and Center for Holocaust Education, Lan Su Chinese Garden, Portland Chinatown Museum and other partners to designate and create a Cultural District
- Continued work with the Architectural Heritage Center, National Trust for Historic Preservation and other partners to offer tours, educational resources, and reinvigorate Nihonmachi (Japantown)
- Proposal with Vanport Mosaic and other cultural partners to develop an interpretation center at Portland Expo Center (formerly Portland Assembly Center detention site for Japanese Americans in 1942)
- Initial discussions about property development for a cultural center and potential demonstration garden
- Exhibitions, film screenings and performances with significant artists and cultural leaders
- Working with National and Regional education leaders and funders to produce study guides integrated into State and National Ethnic Studies, Social Studies and History Curricula
The Executive Director will have unquestioned integrity; strong commitment to and an understanding of the history of the Nikkei community in Portland and the Pacific Northwest and passion for the mission of JAMO. Experience with operations and support systems needed for an organization of this size to thrive; a long-term visionary perspective; a strong sense of accountability and a practical ability to get things done. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record of nonprofit success; an equitable and thoughtful conflict/problem solving approach to management, flexibility and the courage to shift direction and experiment with
new initiatives. A priority for this position is excellent verbal and written communication skills and success in building strong relationships with multiple stakeholders.
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES
The Executive Director must embody and advance the mission, vision, values and philosophy of JAMO, which provides transformative opportunities, services, and advocacy for the education, leadership and civic engagement of our communities.
The Executive Director serves as the chief executive officer of JAMO overseeing all operational and administrative functions. The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors, and
they delegate daily responsibilities to the ED and leadership team, which consists of the Deputy Director, Director of Collections and Exhibitions, the Director of Education and Engagement, and the Creative Director, Living Arts Program.
Read the full job description.
Interested applicants should submit a resumé and cover letter detailing how their background and experience meet the qualifications as outlined in this Position Profile to:
Please address any questions to our search consultant, Joseph Wahl, Wahl and Associates at: email@example.com.