Deepwood Museum and Gardens
Located in the heart of Salem, Oregon, Deepwood Museum and Gardens is one of the area’s premier historic preservation sites. The Deepwood Home and its extensive gardens attract thousands of visitors each year who are rewarded with taste of what life was like in the Willamette Valley in the late 1800s. Deepwood is an 1894 Queen Anne Victorian house museum on five acres of formal gardens and natural trails; it serves as a living museum and is regarded as one of Salem’s most favored venues for weddings and social gatherings.
Today, we’re looking for an experienced non-profit executive director who will embrace the heritage of Deepwood Museum and Gardens to manage its day-to-day operations and work collaboratively with a highly-engaged board of directors to direct its future path. The person we’re looking for will wear many hats while managing the museum and gardens: home operations, gift shop oversight, grant funding, strategic planning, fundraising, programs and special events on small and large scale, volunteer coordination, membership, finance, liaison to the City of Salem, and board relations with the Friends of Deepwood and the Deepwood Gardener’s.
The ideal candidate for this position will have a demonstrated ability to lead at the same time collaborate with others, manage multiple priorities, have a strong development and fundraising skill set, communicate calmly and effectively under pressure, listen and ask questions skillfully, and exercise excellent judgment and composure during emergencies or emotionally-charged situations.
Deepwood operates with an annual budget of about $250,000 and a staff of 2.5 FTE employees.
NEEDED INDIVIDUAL CHARACTERISTICS, EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING
- Any combination of education, training or experience that provides knowledge, skills,
- and abilities required to perform the essential functions of the position.
- Previous experience in non ‐ profit management, with preference given to those with
- experience in administering living museums and those who have strong development and fundraising skill sets.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including excellent written, verbal, and non ‐ verbal
- Ability to work collaboratively with a diverse constituent including staff, Friends of Deepwood Board, volunteers, and City of Salem staff.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to develop, prioritize and implement effective work and strategic plans.
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE HELPFUL IN THE FOLLOWING AREAS:
- Museum collection management
- Volunteer management
- Issues related to architectural and gardens preservation
- Working knowledge of financial programs such as QuickBooks
- Administrative experience
- Knowledge of the Salem-area community would be helpful
Salary will commensurate with experience.
To be considered for this position, viable candidates should submit the following: a comprehensive resume; a cover letter outlining your experience, education and why you would be a particularly good fit for this position; and five professional references.
This position will remain open until filled.
Job Type: Full-time
Local candidates only:
- Grant Writing: 2 years
- Development and Fundraising: 3 years
- Community Outreach: 2 years
- Community Relations: 2 years
- Strategic Planning: 2 years
- Accounting: 2 years
- Event Planning and Management: 5 years