The Volunteer Coordinator is responsible for recruiting, screening, placing and providing general orientation for new volunteers, as well as providing for the recognition and retention of all volunteers at OMSI.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
Performing some of the following will involve driving to various locations outside OMSI's corporate headquarters:
- Work with OMSI staff throughout the organization to understand the needs for volunteers in their areas.
- Accept requests from staff for new ongoing, special project and special event volunteer positions in their areas, and assist with the development of position descriptions. Monitor existing ongoing positions for openings to be filled with new volunteers.
- Maintain database of organizations, agencies, websites, listservs, schools, and colleges for recruitment purposes, and maintain relationships with key personnel of agencies and organizations that refer volunteers to OMSI.
- Recruit qualified adult applicants for open volunteer positions through a variety of mechanisms, including postings on the OMSI website and other volunteer recruitment websites and participating in volunteer recruitment fairs.
- Respond to telephone and email inquiries regarding volunteer service at OMSI.
- Process volunteer applications as they are received, creating personnel files and tracking candidates through the interview, placement and orientation process.
- Contact applicants for preliminary phone interviews and schedule position-specific interviews for applicants with immediate supervisors in their areas of interest as needed.
- Conduct general personal interviews with qualified applicants, and determine placement in positions that match their interests, skills, abilities and availability.
- Conduct general orientation and training for new volunteers, and schedule them for additional training as needed.
- Complete reference checks and background checks for prospective volunteers.
- Follow up with absent volunteers and perform resignation procedures for volunteers leaving their positions.
- Maintain accurate records for volunteers, including their contact information and hours of service, using Volgistics database.
- Train and supervise volunteers who perform clerical duties for the Volunteer Services department.
- Provide recommendations regarding needs, issues and services for volunteers based on feedback obtained through personal observation and communication with volunteers and volunteer surveys.
- This position is non-exempt, paid hourly
- This position is regular full-time, scheduled for 40 hours/week.